Friday, February 12, 2010

Verse of the Day 2/12

Through the Bible - Leviticus 10-12, Matthew 26:57-75
 
Good morning,
We've been considering "abiding" in a few verses this week.  I was reminded of a quote attributed to D. L. Moody and others "either the Bible will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible".  Why do you think that is?
 
For today's verse we'll go back to the beginning, to the first sins recorded in the Bible and see how Adam and Eve reacted.  God's way had been to meet them in the garden daily.  When sin entered their lives, they didn't want to be seen by Him, so they hid.
 
Gen 3:8 And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden.   NKJV
or from The Message:
Gen 3:8-9  When they heard the sound of God strolling in the garden in the evening breeze, the Man and his Wife hid in the trees of the garden, hid from God.
God called to the Man: "Where are you?"

Reading the account, it seems foolish to think that they could hide from God, but don't we do the same thing?  We try to hide from God, we avoid confronting Him face to face.  Why?  Because His Word will reveal the condition of our hearts.  God spoke to them in words and asked "where are you"?  It wasn't for His benefit, He knew exactly where they were, He wanted them to realize where they were and what brought them there.
 
When we are in a similar position, instead of hiding from God, why not turn towards Him, seek forgiveness and restoration of that fellowship, that we might walk together in the cool of the day, allow Him to speak to us face to face in His Word.
 
I'm reminded of another old hymn, the words still ring true.  Instead of hiding from Him we should be "hiding in Him", covered by His grace.

Rock Of Ages
 
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.
 
Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law's demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.
 
Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.
 
While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee.
 
How is your relationship?  Have you been walking with Him or Hiding from Him?
 
Instead of the Genesis passage I'll post Psalm 62 which inspired the hymn.
 
61 Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.
 
2 From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3 For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.
 
4 I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
Selah
5 For you have heard my vows, O God;
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.
 
6 Increase the days of the king's life,
his years for many generations.
7 May he be enthroned in God's presence forever;
appoint your love and faithfulness to protect him.
 
8 Then will I ever sing praise to your name
and fulfill my vows day after day.  
NIV

No comments: