Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Verse of the Day 2/16

Through the Bible - Leviticus 19-20, Mark 1   
 
Good morning,
October 6, 1999 started like most other mornings for me, with devotions and reading my Bible.  The read through the Bible plan that I was following brought me to Hebrews 11 that morning.  It is the Bible's  "Hall of Faith" .  It was to end up being the most difficult day of my life to that point and began a period that would challenge my faith.
 
I didn't realize it then, but the chapter would be one that I would, and will continue to turn to for the rest of my life.  It's about faith; faith the strengthens, faith that heals, faith that transforms.  It transforms our hearts, our thoughts, our hopes, and our desires.
 
For today's verse we'll go to the portion of the chapter that deals with Moses faith.  From the Amplified Bible we read in verse 27:
Hebrews 11:27 [Motivated] by faith he left Egypt behind him, being unawed and undismayed by the wrath of the king; for he never flinched but held staunchly to his purpose and endured steadfastly as one who gazed on Him Who is invisible.

The Amplified Bible shows us some of the many ways that faith is evidenced in the life of one of God's followers.  The passage starts out with Moses parents being "prompted by faith" in verse 23 to conceal him from Pharoah.  Moses is "aroused" by faith (v.24), motivated by faith (v.27), show trust and confidence by faith (v.28), and is urged on by faith (v.29). 

I think that Moses could relate to the following hymn, can you, will you?

All The Way My Savior Leads Me

All the way my Savior leads me
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
Who through life has been my Guide?
Heav'nly peace, divinest comfort,
Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate'er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well;
For I know, whate'er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well.

All the way my Savior leads me
Cheers each winding path I tread,
Gives me grace for every trial,
Feeds me with the living Bread.
Though my weary steps may falter
And my soul athirst may be,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! A spring of joy I see;
Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! A spring of joy I see.


This my song through endless ages:
Jesus led me all the way.

John Piper writes, "When we are trusting Christ most authentically, we are not thinking about trusting, but about Christ. When we step out of the moment to examine it, we cease what we were doing, and therefore cannot see it. My counsel for strugglers therefore is relentlessly: Look to Jesus. Look to Jesus in his word. And pray for eyes to see."   May you see that He has led you all the way.

How is faith being worked out in your life today?
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
 
 Hebrews 11:23 (Prompted) by faith Moses, after his birth, was kept concealed for three months by his parents, because they saw how comely the child was; and they were not overawed and terrified by the king's decree.

    24[Aroused] by faith Moses, when he had grown to maturity and become great, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter,

    25Because he preferred to share the oppression [suffer the hardships] and bear the shame of the people of God rather than to have the fleeting enjoyment of a sinful life.

    26He considered the contempt and abuse and shame [borne for] the Christ (the Messiah Who was to come) to be greater wealth than all the treasures of Egypt, for he looked forward and away to the reward (recompense).

    27[Motivated] by faith he left Egypt behind him, being unawed and undismayed by the wrath of the king; for he never flinched but held staunchly to his purpose and endured steadfastly as one who gazed on Him Who is invisible.

    28By faith (simple trust and confidence in God) he instituted and carried out the Passover and the sprinkling of the blood [on the doorposts], so that the destroyer of the firstborn (the angel) might not touch those [of the children of Israel].

    29[Urged on] by faith the people crossed the Red Sea as [though] on dry land, but when the Egyptians tried to do the same thing they were swallowed up [by the sea].


No comments: