Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Verse of the Day 2/9

Through the Bible - Leviticus 2-3, Matthew 25:31-46
 
Good morning,
After yesterday's devotional about God breathing life into man, and into us, the following hymn came to mind. 
Breathe On Me, Breath Of God
 
Breathe on me, breath of God,
Fill me with life anew,
That I may love what Thou dost love,
And do what Thou wouldst do.
 
Breathe on me, breath of God,
Until my heart is pure,
Until with Thee I will one will,
To do and to endure.
 
Breathe on me, breath of God,
Blend all my soul with Thine,
Until this earthly part of me
Glows with Thy fire divine.
 
Breathe on me, breath of God,
So shall I never die,
But live with Thee the perfect life
Of Thine eternity.
 
John 17:26 And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them."   NKJV
or from the Amplified Bible:
John 17:26 I  have made Your Name known to them and revealed Your character and Your very Self, and I will continue to make [You] known, that the love which You have bestowed upon Me may be in them [felt in their hearts] and that I [Myself] may be in them.

John 17 is a prayer from Jesus, to the Father for His followers through the ages.  This verse serves as a benediction.  As the song indicates, it is a call for Christ to live in us so that we may live as He did, love as He did.  This is impossible if He does not breathe in us, live in us through the Holy Spirit.

"It is the model for our prayers, and with like reverence, faith, and love we should come before God. This prayer for the church will yet be fully answered; and he who loves the church and the world cannot but cast his eyes onward to that time when all believers shall be one; when contentions, bigotry, strife, and anger shall cease; and when, in perpetual union and love, Christians shall show forth the power and purity of that holy gospel with which the Saviour came to bless mankind. Soon may that happy day arise!"   -  from Barnes' Notes 
 

What is your prayer this morning?  May it be along these lines: Fill me with life anew, That I may love what Thou dost love, And do what Thou wouldst do.

 

Blessings,
Mike


mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com
John 17:20-18:1
Jesus Prays for All Believers
20 "I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word;  21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.  22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one:  23 I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.
24 "Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.  25 O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me.  26 And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them."   NKJV

No comments: