Sunday, February 21, 2010

Verse of the Day - weekend 2/21

Through the Bible - Numbers 2-7, Mark 5:1-20
 
Good morning,
I'm travelling on business this weekend which means that I won't be able to worship with my family or church family.  It doesn't stop me from thinking of my family or God or meditating, thinking about what he has done.
 
I'm in Trinidad which, I've been told, was named by Christopher Columbus.  He saw three peaks on the islands and he named the island Trinidad after the Holy Trinity.
This weekends verse is one that you can spend some time meditating on, whether sitting on a pew at church, in a hotel room, an airport or sailing a ship.
 
Ps 19:14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer.   NKJV

It's a prayer of worship that could be a standard for us every day of our lives.

J. R. Miller writes, "The conduct may be blameless--while the thoughts are stained with sin. It is easier to keep our acts without fault--than to keep our feelings, our desires, and our affections pure. We may do no outward act of cruelty or unkindness; while our hearts may be full of jealousies, envies, and all selfishness. We are to seek that our thoughts be so white and clean--that they will be acceptable in God's sight.

The prayer covers our words, our thoughts, and our meditations; each a closer test than the one before. It is a great thing to be faultless in speech--but perfect grammar is not enough. Our words may be beautiful and graceful--and yet our thoughts may be full of hypocrisy, of deceit, of all evil! The prayer here is that our thoughts may please God. This is a higher spiritual attainment, than merely faultless words.

Then, a still higher test of life--is our meditation. Meditations are our deepest thoughts, the quiet ponderings of our hearts. Meditation is almost an obsolete word in these times of hustle and bustle. The word belongs rather to the days when men had much time to think--and think deeply. We meditate when we are alone, when we are shut away from others. Our minds then follow the drift of our own desires, dispositions, and imaginations. If our hearts are clean and good--our meditations are pure and holy
."
 
"As a man thinks in his heart--so is he." Proverbs 23:6
 
Columbus had God on his mind as he sailed the seas.  Wherever you find yourself today may your heart be clean and good as you think about our great God and our Saviour who has redeemed us.
Blessings,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Ps 19:7-20:1
7 The instructions of the Lord are perfect,reviving the soul.The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy,making wise the simple.8 The commandments of the Lord are right,bringing joy to the heart.The commands of the Lord are clear,giving insight for living.9 Reverence for the Lord is pure,lasting forever.The laws of the Lord are true;each one is fair.10 They are more desirable than gold,even the finest gold.They are sweeter than honey,even honey dripping from the comb.11 They are a warning to your servant,a great reward for those who obey them.
12 How can I know all the sins lurking in my heart?Cleanse me from these hidden faults.13 Keep your servant from deliberate sins!Don't let them control me.Then I will be free of guiltand innocent of great sin.
14 May the words of my mouthand the meditation of my heartbe pleasing to you,O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.  NLT
 

No comments: