Monday, February 15, 2010

Verse of the Day 2/15

Through the Bible - Leviticus 16-18, Matthew 28
 
Good morning,
Last week I read the following in a "Today in the Word" devotional from Moody Bible Institute, "Horatio Spafford was a wealthy Chicago lawyer. A family man with a wife and children, he was also a strong supporter of D. L. Moody's evangelistic campaigns. In 1870, his only son died of scarlet fever at age four. Then in the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, he was financially devastated. Did he lose faith? No. Instead, in 1873 he decided to go with his family to Great Britain to join Moody for one of his crusades. Detained by business, he sent his family ahead. Their ship collided with another ship, and 226 people were drowned, including all four of Spafford's daughters. Although devastated by grief, amazingly, he still did not lose faith. He penned the classic hymn, "It Is Well wth My Soul," to express steadfast trust in God's goodness."
 
It Is Well With My Soul
 
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Refrain
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
 
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

 
This weekend, prior to the message our church sang a modernized version of the hymn.  The hymn brought back a flood of memories for both my wife Jean and I.  On separate occasions and different circumstances during our son Jeff's accident and long (still continuing) recovery, the song has spoken to us.  For me, it came as a song in the middle of the night in one of the first nights at home after the accident.  In a time of soul searching, the hymn spoke to my soul, turning my attention to God's grace and presence during that dark night of my soul.

For today's verse we'll go to Psalm 42:
 Ps 42:8 The Lord will command His lovingkindness in the daytime, 
And in the night His song shall be with me —
A prayer to the God of my life.    NKJV

God comforted Horatio Spafford's soul in his cries in the night.  His grace inspired the song that has come to countless others as a song in the night in their trials that they might experience His lovingkindness in the daytime.
 
If you've received such comfort, be prepared to share it with someone else that might be experiencing the billowing waves in their storm.
Blessings,
Mike

mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Ps 42:4-9
4 When I remember these things,I pour out my soul within me.For I used to go with the multitude;I went with them to the house of God,With the voice of joy and praise,With a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast.
5 Why are you cast down, O my soul?And why are you disquieted within me?Hope in God, for I shall yet praise HimFor the help of His countenance. 
6 O my God, my soul is cast down within me;Therefore I will remember You from the land of the Jordan,And from the heights of Hermon,From the Hill Mizar. 7 Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls;All Your waves and billows have gone over me. 8 The Lord will command His lovingkindness in the daytime,And in the night His song shall be with me — A prayer to the God of my life.   NKJV

No comments: