Monday, July 12, 2010

Verse of the Day 7/12

Through the Bible - Psalm 10-12, Acts 18
 
Good morning,
It looks like Pastor Tim's message is going to be on my mind and in these devotionals these week, at least for a few days.  After hearing the message and spending some time in His Word over the last couple of days, it's amazing to see how often the word "with" shows up in very important passages.
 
Take this one from Jeremiah 15   "for I am with you to rescue and save you,"   declares the Lord. Jer 15:20-21 NIV
For today's verse we'll go to Psalm 37.

Ps 37:
23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord,
And He delights in his way.
24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down;
For the Lord upholds him with His hand.  
NKJV

What does it, will it mean to you today to have the Lord with you, their to uphold you, to lift you up?
 
 
Pastor Tim shared how as a high school student, he was facing a group of boys that were going to put him through and "initiation" process.  Thankfully a strong and powerful friend stepped in and basically said.  "If you are going to do that to him, you'll have to go through me."  The boys left and never came back to bother Tim.
 
I read the following in a devotional from David Jeremiah for yesterday July 11.  It fit right in with the subject and I thought I'd share it with you.
 
"Lord God, shall the prey be taken from the mighty, or the captives of the righteous be delivered?  You say even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away, and the prey of the terrible be delivered; for You will contend with him who contends with me.  All flesh shall know that You, the Lord, are my Saviour, and my Redeemer, the mighty one of Jacob.  So I fear not, for You are with me; I will not be dismayed for you are my God.  You will strengthen me, yes, You will help me.  You will uphold me with Your righteous right hand.
I do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with my weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as I am, yet without sin.  In that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid me when I am tempted.  Lord God, You order my steps as of a good man, and You delight in my way.  Though I fall, I shall not be utterly cast down; for You, Lord, uphold me with Your hand."
(Isaiah 49:24-26, Isaiah 41:10, Hebrews 4:15; Hebrews 2:18; Psalm 37:23-24)
 
What would it mean to you to have that kind of friend with you today?  Do you realize that you do?
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 37:23-32
 
23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord,
And He delights in his way.
24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down;
For the Lord upholds him with His hand.
 
25 I have been young, and now am old;
Yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken,
Nor his descendants begging bread.
26 He is ever merciful, and lends;
And his descendants are blessed.
 
27 Depart from evil, and do good;
And dwell forevermore.
28 For the Lord loves justice,
And does not forsake His saints;
They are preserved forever,
But the descendants of the wicked shall be cut off.
29 The righteous shall inherit the land,
And dwell in it forever.
 
30 The mouth of the righteous speaks wisdom,
And his tongue talks of justice.
31 The law of his God is in his heart;
None of his steps shall slide.  
NKJV

No comments: