Sunday, July 25, 2010

Verse of the Day - weekend 7/25

Through the Bible - Psalms 44-49, Acts 27:1-32
 
Good morning,
Most of you are old enough to remember the movie "The Blues Brothers".  In it the vagabond musicians played by John Belushi and Dan Akroyd proclaim that they were on "a mission from God".  They felt in their hearts that there could be no stopping them which caused them to persevere through many obstacles.
 
For today's verse we'll go to Acts 26 where Paul stands before Festus and King Agrippa to declare his "mission from God", one that rang true, has been recorded and passed down to us.  The mission continues for those who live by faith in the "Light of the World", Jesus.In Christ.
 
Acts 26:17-19  "'I'm sending you off to open the eyes of the outsiders so they can see the difference between dark and light, and choose light, see the difference between Satan and God, and choose God. I'm sending you off to present my offer of sins forgiven, and a place in the family, inviting them into the company of those who begin real living by believing in me.'   The Message

These verses and the Bible in general, show that in this world we see and must choose between stark contrasts.  There  is darkness and light, insiders and outsiders, and ultimately Satan and God.  Satan seeks to kill and destroy, God offers salvation, the forgiveness of sin, freedom from sin, eternal life, a place in the family, and the love of God.  God's mission was love.
 
And what was that powerful principle, which brought Him . . .
  from heaven--to earth,
  from glory--into contempt,
  from unutterable bliss--into inconceivable sorrow?

It was LOVE! Love,
  the ruling attribute of His nature,
  the prominent feature of His character,
  the rule of His conduct towards His people!
It was love which . . .
  eternally existed in His bosom,
  fanned His heart, and
  directed His ways!

It was . . .
  eternal love,
  immutable love,
  omnipotent love,
  unconquerable love,
  unfathomable love!

It was this sacred principle which led Jesus into our world--and conducted Him through all the stages of His redemptive work!

His name then, is 'Jesus'--because He loves and saves all of His people!  - James Smith
 
Paul had experienced this love and his desire was to make it known, to spread it and to bring others into the light of the gospel.  It was truly a mission from God.
 
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Acts 26:9-19
 
9 "I too was convinced that I ought to do all that was possible to oppose the name of Jesus of Nazareth. 10 And that is just what I did in Jerusalem. On the authority of the chief priests I put many of the saints in prison, and when they were put to death, I cast my vote against them. 11 Many a time I went from one synagogue to another to have them punished, and I tried to force them to blaspheme. In my obsession against them, I even went to foreign cities to persecute them.
 
12 "On one of these journeys I was going to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests. 13 About noon, O king, as I was on the road, I saw a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, blazing around me and my companions. 14 We all fell to the ground, and I heard a voice saying to me in Aramaic,  '
 
Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.'
 
15 "Then I asked, 'Who are you, Lord?'
 
"'I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting,' the Lord replied. 16 'Now get up and stand on your feet. I have appeared to you to appoint you as a servant and as a witness of what you have seen of me and what I will show you. 17 I will rescue you from your own people and from the Gentiles. I am sending you to them 18 to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan to God, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.'   NIV

No comments: