Sunday, July 18, 2010

Verse of the Day - weekend 7/18

Through the Bible - Psalm 25-29. Acts 21:17- 22:30,
 
Good morning,
We considered Pastor Tim's question "Why pray?" for a few days last week.  Pastor's Eric's message for this weekend is "Why forgive?".  I read a verse yesterday that, for me, brought these two topics, questions together.  See if it does for you as well.

Isaiah 43:1-2 (Amplified Bible)  1BUT NOW [in spite of past judgments for Israel's sins], thus says the Lord, He Who created you, O Jacob, and He Who formed you, O Israel: Fear not, for I have redeemed you [ransomed you by paying a price instead of leaving you captives]; I have called you by your name; you are Mine.

2When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned or scorched, nor will the flame kindle upon you.

What jumped out at me as I read these verses this time, was the cry from the heart of God "O Jacob" and "O Israel".  This statement, this combination, occurs 21 times in the book of Isaiah.  It takes us back to the book of Genesis where Jacob wrestled with God all night and wouldn't let go until God blessed him.  He did so, and left Jacob a changed man, with a new name.  Out of this came the nation of Israel.

Genesis 32:28 (Amplified Bible)  And He said, Your name shall be called no more Jacob [supplanter], but Israel [contender with God]; for you have contended and have power with God and with men and have prevailed.

Our salvation, our redemption is based on forgiveness.  The story in Genesis 32 and 33 revolves around the confrontation between Jacob and Esau.  The reason for Jacob's prayer in the first place was fear of retribution for old sins committed against his brother Esau.  God answered Jacob's prayer in a remarkable way.  The meeting went better than Jacob could ever have imagined.  Jacob purchased the land and built an alter there.

Then he bought the piece of land on which he had encamped from the sons of Hamor, Shechem's father, for a hundred pieces of money.

    20There he erected an altar and called it El-Elohe-Israel [God, the God of Israel].  Gen. 33:19-20 Amplified Bible

Why pray, why forgive?  It is part of God's plan for our benefit and for His eternal glory.  Jacob was overwhelmed.  He sought God and God was with him and He would be with the nation of Israel as they passed through the waters.  He'll be with us when we go through the fires or pass through the waters in our lives when we pray, when we're forgiven and when we forgive.
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Isa 43:1-8
 
43 But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, O Jacob,And He who formed you, O Israel:"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;I have called you by your name;You are Mine. 2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you.When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned,Nor shall the flame scorch you. 3 For I am the Lord your God,The Holy One of Israel, your Savior;I gave Egypt for your ransom,Ethiopia and Seba in your place. 4 Since you were precious in My sight,You have been honored,And I have loved you;Therefore I will give men for you,And people for your life. 5 Fear not, for I am with you;I will bring your descendants from the east,And gather you from the west; 6 I will say to the north, 'Give them up!'And to the south, 'Do not keep them back!'Bring My sons from afar,And My daughters from the ends of the earth —  7 Everyone who is called by My name,Whom I have created for My glory;I have formed him, yes, I have made him."      NKJV

No comments: