Friday, July 23, 2010

Verse of the Day 7/23

Through the Bible - Psalms 42-43, Acts 26
 
Good morning,
We've recently considered imitating Paul as he imitated Christ and what it means to "put on Christ" to clothe yourselves with him.
Today's verse comes from 1 John 2 where we are encouraged to "walk like Him".

1 John 2:6 (New International Version) 6Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

I read the following "Grace Gem" this morning.  It goes well with what we've been considering this week.  Read it, think about it and apply the principles and see how it will impact your day today and this weekend.

 

How shall I honor Jesus today?
First, I must DEDICATE myself anew unto Him.

Second, I must look to Him for all I NEED through the day.

Third, I must IMITATE Jesus in all I do.
He is proposed to us in His Word as our great example;
we should therefore strive to imitate Him.
My object should be . . .
  to think as Jesus thought,
  to speak as Jesus spoke,
  to feel as Jesus felt, and
  to act as Jesus acted.

Often, very often, should we pause to ask,
"Is this like Jesus?
 Would He indulge such a temper?
 Would He employ such language?
 Would He encourage such thoughts?
 Would He do--as I am doing?"

Or, if at a loss what to do at any time, we should ask, 
"What would Jesus do?" 
 How would Jesus act in this case?
 What would Jesus do under these circumstances?
 What would Jesus say?
 What temper would Jesus display?"

This would often send us to His Word.
We should become familiar with His life.
We should be well acquainted with His character.
And what a preservative it would be!
What humility it would produce!

Jesus wishes us to be like Himself. He has left us an
example--that we should follow in His steps. He says,

"Do as I have done!"

If, therefore, I would honor Jesus--I must make it my
study, and I must daily seek grace--that I may imitate
Him in all that I do, at all times and in all places.
O to be like Jesus . . .
  in my family,
  in my business,
  in the church, and
  when alone with God!

Blessings,
Mike

mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com

1 John 2 (New International Version)

1 John 2

 1My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. 2He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

 3We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands. 4The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: 6Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

No comments: