Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Verse of the Day 7/13

Through the Bible - Psalms 13-15.Acts 19   
 
Good morning,
There are times in our lives when we need God's presence, His guidance, more than other times.  One of those times is during a time of transition.  It may be considering or taking on a new job, deciding on and going away to school, or getting married and taking on the leadership of a family.
 
I started reading through the book of Joshua recently and Pastor Tim's message from Sunday, considering how important it is for us to know and experience that God is with us, was put on display.
 
Joshua had pretty much been the closest follower of Moses as he had guided God's people through the desert.  Now Moses had gone to be with the Lord and Joshua was left to lead this group of grumbling fair weather people.  Joshua had seen their rebellion in the desert and knew he faced a daunting task.  It was at this time of transition that God spoke this message to him from Joshua chapter 1.
 
Josh 1:8 Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. 9 This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."  NLT
 
One way that we hear from the Lord is from His Word.  We are to read and study it continually.  As we do, God will speak to us, guide us and direct us.
 
God's leaders through the ages from Abraham to  Moses to Joshua to Isaiah, Jeremiah, Paul ..... spent time with God daily.  They may not have had the commentaries and different Bible translations that we do, but they knew what they had and prayed to God regularly.  Since we have these study tools with us why don't we use them more?
 
I'll mention again that Tim's message this past weekend was "Why Pray?".
 
I'll share a prayer from another devotional from David Jeremiah which is based on God's Word and should encourage us to remember that God is with us.
 
"Lord God, enable me to be strong and of good courage, may I not be afraid; for you, Lord God, are the one who goes with me. You will not leave me or forsake me.  You, Lord, are the One who goes before me.  You will be with me; so I do not fear, nor am I dismayed.  Have you not commanded me?  So I will be strong and of good courage; I will not be afraid nor be dismayed, for You, Lord God, are with me wherever I go.  In all my ways I acknowledge You and You shall direct my paths.
You have said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."  So I boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear.  What can man do to me?"  My sufficiency is from You, Lord God.
O Lord, I know the way of man is not in himself; it is not in me who walks to direct my own steps.  My times are in your hand."
(Deuteronomy 31:6, Joshua 1:9, Proverbs 3:6, Hebrews 13:5-6, 2 Corinthians 3:5, Matthew 6:13, Jeremiah 10;23, Psalm 31:15)
 
Are you facing a time of transition?  Call on God, depend on His Word, He will be with you wherever you go.
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Josh 1:1-10
 
The LORD's Charge to Joshua
 
1 After the death of Moses the Lord's servant, the Lord spoke to Joshua son of Nun, Moses' assistant. He said, 2 "Moses my servant is dead. Therefore, the time has come for you to lead these people, the Israelites, across the Jordan River into the land I am giving them. 3 I promise you what I promised Moses: 'Wherever you set foot, you will be on land I have given you— 4 from the Negev wilderness in the south to the Lebanon mountains in the north, from the Euphrates River in the east to the Mediterranean Sea in the west, including all the land of the Hittites.' 5 No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you.
 
6 "Be strong and courageous, for you are the one who will lead these people to possess all the land I swore to their ancestors I would give them. 7 Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do. 8 Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. 9 This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."  NLT

No comments: