Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Verse of the Day 7/14

Through the Bible -Psalm 16-18, Acts 20:1-16
 
Good morning,
Jean and I recently invited some friends over for dinner.  As we sat down and prepared to eat our friends. five year old son asked, with joy, if he could pray. It was a simple child's prayer expressed in childlike faith.  It brought joy to my heart and was another reminder not only why we should pray, but how, with that kind of joy, from the heart.
 
That event reminded me of a song that my daughter Laurie and I had the privilege to sing in our church when she was still a teenager.  We could both look back in our lives and see the meaning.  Now she has two young ones of her own that will soon be offering up these "children's prayers".
 
The song was "Still Listening" by Stephen Curtis Chapman.
 
I would lay me down to sleep
And pray the Lord my soul to keep
And though I never saw Him there
I believe He heard each prayer
For God was great, And God was good
And I knew if I spoke the words
He would be listening

The years can take us far away
From the simple child like faith
But I am longing to return
To the place where I first learned
That God is great, and God is good
So, I will speak the words

CHORUS
God, our Father, once again
I bow my head to pray
You are my Father and my friend, and You hear every word I say
A prayer for forgiveness, A desperate cry for help
Or praise flowing from a thankful heart
Like each time before, I come knowing You're still listening

I will never understand
How the words of mortal man
Can reach the ears of One so pure
And touch His heart, but they do I'm sure
For God is great, and God is good
And He is love

Now I lay me down to sleep
And pray the Lord my soul to keep
Though I may not see You there
I believe You'll hear each prayer
Today's verse comes from this morning's Old Testament reading in Psalm 17.  It was the basis of this song.
 
Ps 17:6 I am praying to you because I know you will answer, O God.
Bend down and listen as I pray.
7 Show me your unfailing love in wonderful ways.
By your mighty power you rescue
those who seek refuge from their enemies.  NLT
 
Have the years taken you away from your simple childlike faith?  Do you long to return, to regain some of the wonder?  Spend time in God's Word (especially the Psalms), reflect on His Word, reflect on what He has done, and pray that your faith would be strengthened, knowing He is still listening.  For God is great, and He is good.
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 17:1-9
 
17 1 O Lord, hear my plea for justice.
Listen to my cry for help.
Pay attention to my prayer,
for it comes from honest lips.
2 Declare me innocent,
for you see those who do right.
 
3 You have tested my thoughts and examined my heart in the night.
You have scrutinized me and found nothing wrong.
I am determined not to sin in what I say.
4 I have followed your commands,
which keep me from following cruel and evil people.
5 My steps have stayed on your path;
I have not wavered from following you.
 
6 I am praying to you because I know you will answer, O God.
Bend down and listen as I pray.
7 Show me your unfailing love in wonderful ways.
By your mighty power you rescue
those who seek refuge from their enemies.
8 Guard me as you would guard your own eyes.
Hide me in the shadow of your wings.  NLT

No comments: