Saturday, June 16, 2012

Verse of the Day 6/16

 
Isaiah 48:17 (ESV) Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
"I am the Lord your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you in the way you should go."
 
In my devotions this morning I read a couple of verses that struck me, mainly because of all the travel that I've done for the last 29 years, mostly for work.  The first was from Psalm 139 :
Psalm 139:3 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) You observe my travels and my rest;  You are aware of all my ways.
 
The HCSB uses the word "travels" where others have used path.  Looking back I'm thankful that for the last 20 years or so I've carried God's Word, the Bible with me wherever I've gone.  But even before that, as a Christian, I knew that God was with me wherever I went.  That knowledge brings a sense of security, accountability, and responsibility with it.  More recently, when I travel I use a GPS.  I plug in the address, and for the most part the GPS leads me to where I want to go.  Spiritually, having God's Word is my spiritual GPS and spending time in it leads me to where He wants me to go.
 
The second passage that struck me was Isaiah 48 where we find today's verse.  We work in business for profit and our travels in business are towards that end.  Spiritually, God teaches us for profit, that we may produce fruit and that we may find peace and joy along the way.
 
Sometimes, the GPS may send us by an unfamiliar way and we may not trust it and end up straying from the path.  So it is also with God's Word as we see in the verse that follows.
 
Isaiah 48:18(ESV)  Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea;
 
Wherever you are headed, whether across the country or within your own town, may you experience His presence, His perfect peace.
 
Like a river glorious, is God's perfect peace,
Over all victorious, in its bright increase;
Perfect, yet it floweth, fuller every day,
Perfect, yet it groweth, deeper all the way.
 
Refrain
 
Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest
Finding, as He promised, perfect peace and rest.
 
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Isaiah 48:17-19 English Standard Version (ESV)
17 Thus says the Lord,
    your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel:
"I am the Lord your God,
    who teaches you to profit,
    who leads you in the way you should go.
18  Oh that you had paid attention to my commandments!
     Then your peace would have been like a river,
    and your righteousness like the waves of the sea;
19  your offspring would have been like the sand,
    and your descendants like its grains;
their name would never be cut off
    or destroyed from before me."

No comments: