Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Verse of the Day 6/26

Verse of the Day 6/26

Psalm 86:11-12 (ESV) Teach me your way, O Lord,
    that I may walk in your truth;
     unite my heart to fear your name.
12 I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
    and I will glorify your name forever

In this Psalm as in so many other times in David's life, he finds himself in trouble.  What does he do?  He calls out to the Lord.
If you look back on David's life, some of these troubles are the result of his own doing, his sin.  Others are through no fault of his own but rather a king (Saul) with a king sized ego.
 
In verse 6 he calls to the Lord to hear his prayer, his cry in the time of trouble.  He knows from past experience that his Lord is listening.
 
In today's verse I want you to consider David's call to "unite his heart" with God's.  The man after God's own heart calls for a united heart.  It doesn't come naturally.
 
We sang the song "Hosanna", by Hillsong in church over the weekend.  Reading this verse brought to mind one of the stanzas of that song.
 
Heal my heart and make it clean
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like You have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks Yours
Everything I am for Your Kingdom's cause
As I walk from earth into eternity

Whether our heart our soul feels like it is in the depths, may we have a united heart with God, may we pray "break my heart for what breaks yours". 
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com
 
Psalm 86:6-13 ESV
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;
    listen to my plea for grace.
In the day of my trouble I call upon you,
     for you answer me.

There is none like you among the gods, O Lord,
     nor are there any works like yours.
All the nations you have made shall come
    and worship before you, O Lord,
    and shall glorify your name.
10 For you are great and do wondrous things;
     you alone are God.
11  Teach me your way, O Lord,
    that I may walk in your truth;
     unite my heart to fear your name.
12 I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,
    and I will glorify your name forever.
13  For great is your steadfast love toward me;
    you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol

No comments: