Monday, June 4, 2012

Verse of the Day 6/4

Psalm 33:6 (ESV)  By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, and by the breath of his mouth all their host.
 
We recently considered Philippians 2:8 which spoke of how Jesus, being God, humbled Himself in coming to earth and going to the cross for us.  Today's verse is another one that gives magnitude to the significance.
 
Yesterday we considered Psalm 67 as I sat on my back porch and felt the warmth of the sun on a cool morning.  The previous night, my wife Jean and I were walking back from some friend's house through our neighborhood on a clear cool evening.  I can't remember seeing the moon so bright and full.  Truly, the heavens declare the majesty of God and are a testimony of how great He is.
 
These verses and the experiences of the last few mornings and evenings brought to mind the old hymn, "How Great Thou Art".
 
Lord my God! When I in awesome wonder
Consider all the works thy hand hath made,
I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed;
 
And when I think that God his son not sparing,
Sent him to die - I scarce can take it in,
That on the cross my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died to take away my sin:
Refrain:
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, how great Thou art!
 
Psalm 33:8-9 (ESV)  Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him!
9 For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Psalm 33:1-9 English Standard Version (ESV) - The Steadfast Love of the Lord
 
33  Shout for joy in the Lord, O you righteous!
     Praise befits the upright.
2 Give thanks to the Lord with the lyre;
    make melody to him with the harp of ten strings!
3 Sing to him a new song;
    play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts.
4 For the word of the Lord is upright,
    and all his work is done in faithfulness.
5 He loves righteousness and justice;
     the earth is full of the steadfast love of the Lord.
6 By the word of the Lord the heavens were made,
    and by the breath of his mouth all their host
.
7 He gathers the waters of the sea as a heap;
    he puts the deeps in storehouses.
8 Let all the earth fear the Lord;
    let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him!
9 For he spoke, and it came to be;
    he commanded, and it stood firm

No comments: