Monday, June 18, 2012

Verse of the Day 6/18

Isaiah 50:4 (HCSB) The Lord God has given Me
the tongue of those who are instructed
to know how to sustain the weary with a word.
He awakens Me each morning;
He awakens My ear to listen like those being instructed.
 
Over the past few days I've shared a couple of things said and sung by my four year old granddaughter, Layna, that have influenced me.  It is amazing that things that an innocent four year old can say or do to have an impact on an adult.
 
One of the lines to the hymn that she sings "Holy, Holy , Holy", keeps coming back to me - "early in the morning our song shall rise to thee".  Our reading, studying and prayers rise to Him and He speaks back to us through His Word and in by His Spirit.  I  read today's verse over the weekend and with Layna's words as a backdrop, I couldn't help but relate it to spending time in God's Word and in prayer and that it should change how we interact with others.  Our words should be able to help, give hope to, and sustain the weary with a kind word that we've heard through His Word.
 
No matter if your time with the Lord comes in the morning or at another time, may we be awakened by it, instructed by it, learn from it, and apply it in helping the weary with a word.  If you do, you may find yourself "singing when the evening comes".  Read the words to the Matt Redman song "10,000 Reasons" which we sang in church yesterday.
 
The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes

You're rich in love, and You're slow to anger
Your name is great, and Your heart is kind
For all Your goodness I will keep on singing
Ten thousand reasons for my heart to find
 
And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Still my soul will sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years and then forevermore
 
Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Isaiah 50:4-11 New Living Translation (NLT)The Lord's Obedient Servant
 
4 The Sovereign Lord has given me his words of wisdom,
    so that I know how to comfort the weary.
Morning by morning he wakens me
    and opens my understanding to his will.

5 The Sovereign Lord has spoken to me,
    and I have listened.
    I have not rebelled or turned away.
6 I offered my back to those who beat me
    and my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard.
I did not hide my face
    from mockery and spitting.
7 Because the Sovereign Lord helps me,
    I will not be disgraced.
Therefore, I have set my face like a stone,
    determined to do his will.
    And I know that I will not be put to shame.
8 He who gives me justice is near.
    Who will dare to bring charges against me now?
Where are my accusers?
    Let them appear!
9 See, the Sovereign Lord is on my side!
    Who will declare me guilty?
All my enemies will be destroyed
    like old clothes that have been eaten by moths!
10 Who among you fears the Lord
    and obeys his servant?
If you are walking in darkness,
    without a ray of light,
trust in the Lord
    and rely on your God.
11 But watch out, you who live in your own light
    and warm yourselves by your own fires.
This is the reward you will receive from me:
    You will soon fall down in great torment.

No comments: