Thursday, April 18, 2013

Verse of the Day 4/18

 Isaiah 52:7-8  How beautiful upon the mountains
    are the feet of him who brings good news,
who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness,
    who publishes salvation,
    who says to Zion, "Your God reigns."
The voice of your watchmen—they lift up their voice;
    together they sing for joy;
for eye to eye they see
    the return of the Lord to Zion.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
I read in the news yesterday of the passing of George Beverly Shea.  For over 50 years he teamed up with Billy Graham leading evangelistic crusades to reach people with the good news of the gospel.  Billy Graham did so preaching and George did so in song.  I remember hearing George Beverly Shea's booming voice as a child and was surprised to hear him still carrying that booming voice late in life.

 

I read today's verses in my devotions this morning and thought how easily they could be related to Billy and George, bringing the good news in word and in joyful song.

 

One of the songs that he will be best remembered for, and by, was "I'd Rather Have Jesus".

 

I'd rather have Jesus than silver or gold
I'd rather be His than have riches untold
I'd rather have Jesus than houses or lands
I'd rather be led by His nail-pierced hand

 

I'd rather have Jesus than men's applause

I'd rather be faithful to His dear cause
I'd rather have Jesus than worldwide fame
I'd rather be true to His holy name

 

Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin's dread sway
I'd rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today

 

May we be able to say and sing the same thing today and into our elderly years and beyond, may we "boom it out" (see The Message below)  to the best of our ability as George Beverly Shea did.

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Isaiah 52:7-10

The Message (MSG)

7-10 How beautiful on the mountains
    are the feet of the messenger bringing good news,
Breaking the news that all's well,
    proclaiming good times, announcing salvation,
    telling Zion, "Your God reigns!"
Voices! Listen! Your scouts are shouting, thunderclap shouts,
    shouting in joyful unison.
They see with their own eyes
    God coming back to Zion.
Break into song! Boom it out, ruins of Jerusalem:
    "God has comforted his people!
    He's redeemed Jerusalem!"
God has rolled up his sleeves.
    All the nations can see his holy, muscled arm.
Everyone, from one end of the earth to the other,
    sees him at work, doing his salvation work.

No comments: