Monday, April 22, 2013

Verse of the Day 4/22

 
 Acts 20:24  But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God.  New Living Translation (NLT) 
 

The series that our youth group is going through is titled "I Wish".  The focus last night was on two short, contrasting sayings, "I Wish I Had" and "I'm Glad I Did".  Much of our lives are based on decisions that we have made.  We may be thankful and we may have regrets.

 

One of the songs that we sang had a chorus that went something like this, "Holy Spirit, send down your fire, consume my desire"  What these words are calling God to do is to burn up, to consume our own will and to replace it with His, with a heart for His will in your life.  Paul is perhaps one of the greatest examples of this.  He surrendered his life, his will to God and we are thankful to God for it today.

 

He had moments in his life where I'm sure he still said "I wish I had" done something differently,  perhaps standing by as Stephen was stoned.  But that didn't consume him, he had been saved, he had been forgiven, and in surrendering his life he took up the new cause of proclaiming the Gospel, the Good News of the wonderful grace of God.

 

What do we see when we look ahead?  Are we willing, with urgency, to take some risks for Christ and later say "I'm glad I did" or let the opportunity pass and say I wish I had?  The choice is up to each of us.

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Acts 20:22-24 The Message (MSG)

22-24 "But there is another urgency before me now. I feel compelled to go to Jerusalem. I'm completely in the dark about what will happen when I get there. I do know that it won't be any picnic, for the Holy Spirit has let me know repeatedly and clearly that there are hard times and imprisonment ahead. But that matters little. What matters most to me is to finish what God started: the job the Master Jesus gave me of letting everyone I meet know all about this incredibly extravagant generosity of God.

No comments: