Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Verse of the Day 4/23

Psalm 35:1-2  Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me;
    fight against those who fight against me!
Take hold of shield and buckler
    and rise for my help!  English Standard Version (ESV)

Yesterday we considered how the Apostle Paul wanted to "finish the work" that had been assigned to him.  He had surrendered his will to the Lord, having his own desires burned up, consumed and replaced with God's desires.
 
Today's verses are a reflection of that same heart attitude.  Here David calls upon the Lord to take up the battle for him, knowing that in actuality that the battle and the victory are the Lord's.  It was the attitude of others throughout the Old and New Testaments, from Joshua to David to Hezekiah.  When things seemed hopeless and overwhelming they called on God.  They didn't stand strong in their strength individually or as a nation, they stood strong in the faith, hope and knowledge that their God would stand strong for them.
 
He is the God of the angel armies, who says to our soul in those times "I am your salvation" (v.4).
 
What are the things that you are contending with today.  Call on God as your advocate to rise for your help.  Read some of the words from the Chris Tomlin song "Whom Shall I Fear".
 
I know who goes before me
I know who stands behind
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side

The one who reigns forever
He is a friend of mine
The God of angel armies
Is always by my side 
 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com
 

Psalm 35:1-4

English Standard Version (ESV)

Great Is the Lord

Of David.

35 Contend, O Lord, with those who contend with me;
    fight against those who fight against me!
Take hold of shield and buckler
    and rise for my help!
Draw the spear and javelin[a]
    against my pursuers!
Say to my soul,
    "I am your salvation!"

Let them be put to shame and dishonor
    who seek after my life!
Let them be turned back and disappointed
    who devise evil against me!

No comments: