Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Verse of the Day 1/16

Verse of the Day 1/6


Matthew 11:28-29
New King James Version



28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am [a]gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.



Today's verses came up in my read through the Bible plan.  Any time that I read them serves as a reminder that I need to come to Him, need to seek Him daily, in His Word; in prayer and in obedience.  The opposite of doing so is to be caught up in the rat race with no time for God which has the opposite result.  Instead of finding rest for our souls, we bring upon stress for ouir souls.

Readilng the passage we may not feel that we'd want any kind of "yoke" on us.  We don't want to feel like oxen being driven.  I've heard is said before the the "easy yoke" is one that has been custom fitted so that it doean't chafe, irritate the animal.  The yoke is important for guiding the animal to where it needs or in our case, where we should go. Instead of being a burden following Jesus can relieve our burdens.

Charles Spurgeon writes, "this is not only Christ's cry to you, but, if you be a believer, this is your cry to Christ--"Come! come!" You will be longing for his second advent; you will be saying, "Come quickly, even so come Lord Jesus." You will be panting for nearer and closer communion with him. As his voice to you is "Come," your response to him will be, "Come, Lord, and abide with me. Come, and occupy alone the throne of my heart; reign there without a rival, and consecrate me entirely to thy service." 

1 Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
calling for you and for me;
see, on the portals he's waiting and watching,
watching for you and for me.

Refrain:
Come home, come home;
you who are weary come home;
earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,

calling, O sinner, come home!




Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Matthew 11:25-30
New King James Version

Jesus Gives True Rest

25 At that time Jesus answered and said, "I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes. 26 Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. 27 All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him. 28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."


No comments: