Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Verse of the Day 1/30

Verse of the Day 1/30




Matthew 6:14-15
New International Version



14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Our Tuesday Men's Bible study went through the parable of the "unmerciful servant" this morning where a servant had been forgiven a great debt but then was unwilling to forgive a much lesser debt to someone else. The parable ended with the master deliverilng the unforgiving servant to jail and stating that your heavenly Father will do the same to those who do not forgive their brothers from the heart.  It is very sobering stuff.

We ended by going through the Lord's prayer where in today's passage we see that Jesus stated three times "when you pray" which culminated in Him giving us the Lord's prayer.  Forgiveness is brought up twice in the the passage with a similar conclusion to the parable.

Forgiveness does not come naturally, but is possible through the working of the Holy Spirit within us and with God's grace.  The model prayer shows us that we should be mindful of forgiveness every time what we "pray like this".

Teach me to pray, Lord, teach me to pray;
This is my heart-cry day unto day;
I long to know Thy will and Thy way;
Teach me to pray, Lord, teach me to pray. Living in Thee, Lord, and Thou in me,
Constant abiding, this is my plea;
Grant me Thy power, boundless and free,
  Power with men and power with Thee.
2
Power in prayer, Lord, power in prayer!
Here 'mid earth's sin and sorrow and care,
Men lost and dying, souls in despair;
O give me power, power in prayer!
3
My weakened will, Lord, Thou canst renew;
My sinful nature Thou canst subdue;
Fill me just now with power anew;
Power to pray and power to do!
4
Teach me to pray, Lord, teach me to pray;
Thou art my pattern day unto day;
Thou art my surety, now and for aye;
Teach me to pray, Lord, teach me to pray.




Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Matthew 6:5-15
New International Version

Prayer

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

"This, then, is how you should pray:

"'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,[a]
    but deliver us from the evil one.[

14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.


No comments: