Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Verse of the Day 1/17

Verse of the Day 1/17


Psalm 119:15-16
New International Version



15 I meditate on your precepts
    and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
    I will not neglect your word.


Many people begin the year with a resolution to read through the Bible in a year.  It is a noble goal and it takes time for setting aside that time each day for it to become a habit, likely a couple of months.  If you start from the beginning, Genesis you and stick with the Old Testament you will soon find yourself in the books of Leviticus and Numbers.  Challenging to be sure!  One of the ways that helped me over the years was to read portions of the Old and New Testaement as well as from the Wisdom literature - Psalms, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes which helps bring some variety.  It will aslo help you relate what you read in the Old Testament with the New and vice versa.

But reading in and of itself is not the end of the challenge.  If it remains mostly a goal or "chore" to be checked off each day it won't have it's full effect.  Today's verses from Psalm 119 give us an indication of what helps.  Meditating and delighting in God's Word.  Pick out a verse and think about it through the day. How can it be applied to your life?
Perhaps there is a psalm or hymn that goes along with it.  It's amazing how a song or hymn can stick with you for the day and even sometimes multiple days.

Robert Harris writes:
 "We must be careful . . .
   to
 read Scripture, 
   to
 embed it in our hearts by meditation,
   and to
 apply it closely to our consciences. 
 Only then it will be profitable to our hearts!"

Good advice.  Yes, read the Bible daily, but don't stop therer; read it carefully, embed it in your mind by meditating on it; apply it in our hearts and lives; and it will be profitable, bringing joy, wisdom and understanding. May verse 16 be our mindset, not just a goal -" I will not neglect your word."



Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Psalm 119:9-16
New International Version

ב Beth

How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
    By living according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart;
    do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
    that I might not sin against you.
12 Praise be to you, Lord;
    teach me your decrees.
13 With my lips I recount
    all the laws that come from your mouth.
14 I rejoice in following your statutes
    as one rejoices in great riches.
15 I meditate on your precepts
    and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
    I will not neglect your word.





No comments: