Friday, March 2, 2012

Verse of the Day 3/2

Verse of the Day 3/2 
 
2 Timothy 4:7-8 (NIV) I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.
 
I received word yesterday that Al Zierke, our friend and former pastor of Grace Community Church in Illinois passed away yesterday.  Today's verse is in honor of him.  Many of you that receive these devotionals knew Pastor Al and I didn't know how many of you had heard the news.
 
I don't remember any specific sermons that he preached, but I do remember his leadership, his servant's heart, his love for the Lord and his congregation.  I remember him coming by our house when I happened to be digging out a tree stump.  He rolled up his sleeves and got down in the dirt to help me remove the stump. He would do that physically and spiritually.
 
I like bluegrass music and a song that always has reminded me of Al was "The Preacher" (click on it to listen) by Andy Leftwich.  A few of the words go like this:
 
There's a man up the road and he just seems to know,
The right words to say at the right time,
He walks straight ahead 'cause he knows where he's goin'
Every step he takes, the Good Lord is at his side.
 
He wears his Sunday suit for all the right reasons,
A better man, you'd be hard pressed to find;
If you need a hand, he knows the right hand of the hammer,
If you need a friend, he'll be there any time;
 
He's a man that knows life's joys and seen life's sorrows,
He's steady as a rock, help you walk across the water
Up the road lives the man from.....
 
He will be missed, but we can rejoice that he is now at the Good Lord's side.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

2 Timothy 4:5-8 New International Version (NIV)

5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

 6 For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time for my departure is near. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

No comments: