Saturday, December 15, 2012

Verse of the Day 12/15

 
1 Corinthians 6:20  You were bought with a price [purchased with a preciousness and paid for, made His own]. So then, honor God and bring glory to Him in your body.  Amplified Bible (AMP)
Last week in our youth group we talked about how many people look at their relationship with God as a transactional relationship.  If I do this for God, He will do something for me.  Quite often it goes way beyond this to the effect if I'm good, (and I'm the judge of that) God owes me something.  That is not how it is at all.
 
The important transaction that did take place is One sided, on God's side.  We celebrate it this season at Christmas as we think how "heaven came down" with the birth of Jesus Christ.  We celebrate it at Easter when we acknowledge that He rose from the grave as proof of the resurrecting power of God, and the forgiveness of sins that we have through His sacrifice.
 
When I heard that word transaction regarding our relationship to Christ, I remembered the hymn "Heaven Came Down and Glory Filled My Soul"sang so often as a kid in church.  I never thought of it as a Christmas song/hymn, but when you read the words below you will realize that it truly fits with the season.  The greatest gift in the world is offered to us if we will receive it.  The accepting of the gift, coming as a sinner is our only part in the transaction.  Having taken hold of it how can we help but praise Him when we think about the "preciousness" in which it was paid for.
 
Heaven came down and glory filled my soul,
When at the cross the Savior made me whole;
My sins were washed away -
And my night was turned to day -
Heaven came down and glory filled my soul!
 
Born of the Spirit with life from above into God's fam'ly divine,
Justified fully thru Calvary's love, O what a standing is mine!
And the transaction so quickly was made when as a sinner I came,
Took of the offer of grace He did proffer - He saved me, O praise His dear name!
 
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
1 Corinthians 6:19-20   Amplified Bible (AMP)
19 Do you not know that your body is the temple (the very sanctuary) of the Holy Spirit Who lives within you, Whom you have received [as a Gift] from God? You are not your own,
20 You were bought with a price [purchased with a preciousness and paid for, made His own]. So then, honor God and bring glory to Him in your body.

No comments: