Friday, December 21, 2012

Verse of the Day 12/21

Luke 1:38  And Mary said, "Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her.  English Standard Version (ESV)
 
The angel had just explained to Mary how she would miraculously become the mother of the "Son of God".  When she questioned him with "how can this be?"  he answered with the response of the ages "for nothing will be impossible with God".  Think of the confidence that these words gave her.  The things that were said would come true.  They would unfold not only before her eyes, but in her heart, body and life.  The story goes forward to Mary's song "The Magnificat".
 
As I thought of Mary's submission to God, and her statement "let it be according to your word" I thought about our submission to God in our lives.  We have our hopes and dreams and we pray for them.  But when a curveball is thrown at us how often have we responded to God "let it be".
 
The words of the verse brought to mind another hymn, not one directly associated with Christmas, but it goes along with the song in Mary's heart.  "Blessed Assurance" or "This is My Story This is My Song".  I'll post a couple of stanzas but not in their original order.
 
Perfect submission, perfect delight,
 visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
 angels descending bring from above
 echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
 
Perfect submission, all is at rest;
 I in my Savior am happy and blest,
 watching and waiting, looking above,
 filled with his goodness, lost in his love.
 
This is my story, this is my song,
 praising my Savior all the day long;
 this is my story, this is my song,
 praising my Savior all the day long.
 
May we be willing to submit to Him in our lives with the attitude of "let it be according to your word" and praise Him for what He has done for us.
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Luke 1:37-39 English Standard Version (ESV)
37 For nothing will be impossible with God." 38 And Mary said, "Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word." And the angel departed from her.
 
Mary Visits Elizabeth
 
39 In those days Mary arose and went with haste into the hill country, to a town in Judah,

No comments: