Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Verse of the Day 12/5

Psalm 23:6 Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord as long as I live.   Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
Many people think of Psalm 23 in relation to funerals and death and wouldn't think of it as a celebration of Christmas.  Some translations say "surely goodness and mercy will follow me".  But the HCSB and a few others use the word "pursue".  When you think about it, in sending His Son Jesus, God the Father sent Him to pursue us with His faithful steadfast love, to save us, to be our Great Shepherd.
 
In many Bibles following Psalm 23 there is a heading for Psalm 24, King of Glory.  Reading that made me think of the Third Day Song, King of Glory, where we read or sing ".  Who is this King of Glory that pursues me with his love
And haunts me with each hearing of His softly spoken words, My conscience, a reminder of forgiveness that I need. Who is this King of Glory who offers it to me?  His name is Jesus.
 
This Christmas Season, as with others, many will be walking around searching for meaning, searching for hope, searching for healing.   As I was walking and getting some exercise the other day I was listening to Matt Maher's song "Turn Around" and heard the following line.
 
If you're scared that you don't matter
If you're lost and need to be found
If you're looking for a Savior
All you gotta do is turn around
 
My hope and prayer is that those who are searching this season will "turn around" and find the Shepherd, Jesus, the Savior.  May we be instruments as individuals and through our churches or ministries to encourage or cause them to turn around and have their life renewed by the shepherd who will lead them to green pastures.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Psalm 23  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
The Good Shepherd
A Davidic psalm.
 
1 The Lord is my shepherd;
there is nothing I lack.
2 He lets me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
3 He renews my life;
He leads me along the right paths
for His name's sake.
4 Even when I go through the darkest valley,
I fear no danger,
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff—they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
as long as I live.

No comments: