Thursday, January 16, 2020

Verse of the Day 1/16

Verse of the Day 1/16

John 1:12-13   But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

English Standard Version (ESV)

You are probably familiar with the saying "seeing is believing".  For the Christian, today's verses have a similar concept, you might say "receiving is believing" as well as "believing is receiving".  Think about that for a moment. God calls us and our response is to accept His call and receive Him as our Savior, to believe in Him.  At the same time this believing in Him is receiving Him. The two go together.

I read the following yesterday from Charles Spurgeon which tells us of the results of the believing -  "believe and live".  To receive Him; who is the Word (John 1:14) ; is to acknowledge Him and place our faith in Him, and to give our selves to Him.  To truly believe is to live; live for Him; live through Him; and to share that life, that living with others.

Receiving, believing and living reminded me of this hymn.

1
Living for Jesus a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.
  O Jesus, Lord and Savior,
I give myself to Thee,
For Thou, in Thy [redemption],*
Didst give Thyself for me;
I own no other Master,
My heart shall be Thy throne,
My life I give, henceforth to live,
O Christ, for Thee alone.
2
Living for Jesus who died in my place,
Bearing on Calv'ry my sin and disgrace;
Such love constrains me to answer His call,
Follow His leading and give Him my all.


4
Living for Jesus through earth's little while,
My dearest treasure, the light of His smile;
Seeking the lost ones He died to redeem,
Bringing the weary to find rest in Him.


My prayer for you is that you have received and believed and will live in Him.


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

John 1:9-18 New King James Version (NKJV)

That[a] was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. 11 He came to His [b]own, and His [c]own did not receive Him. 12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the [d]right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: 13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

The Word Becomes Flesh

14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

15 John bore witness of Him and cried out, saying, "This was He of whom I said, 'He who comes after me [e]is preferred before me, for He was before me.' "

16 [f]And of His fullness we have all received, and grace for grace. 17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten [g]Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.

No comments: