Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Verse of the Day 1/29

Verse of the Day 1/29

Luke 22:31-32  Jesus said, "Simon, listen to me! Satan has demanded the right to test each one of you, as a farmer does when he separates wheat from the husks.[a] 32 But Simon, I have prayed that your faith will be strong. And when you have come back to me, help the others."    Contemporary English Version (CEV)

In today's short passage where Jesus predicts Peter's denial we are reminded once again of our human nature and our confidence, or over confidence in ourselves and our power, our will power.  Peter was one of the leaders of the disciples and was the one who expressed his faith in Christ "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God" and of whom Jesus said "on this rock I will build my church",about that statement.

You've heard the saying nobody's perfect.  The greatest pitchers in baseball don't strike everyone out or win every game.  The best hitters only get hits less than 4 out of 10 trips to the plate.  For us, there will be times when we fail, when we let God down.  Jesus' prayer for Peter is also prayed for us.  He prays that we may have faith, and part of that faith is coming back to Him, seeking Him even when we have failed.  When we do so we can also strengthen those who go through the same challenges, the same failures.

John Piper reminds us of the importance of the small word "when" in today's verses when he writes, "Not if you return. But when you return. I have prayed for you! You will return. And when you do, it will be my sovereign grace that brought you back from the precipice of apostasy."  Peter did fall, but he got up and returned by God's grace.  Peter then realized that no power in this world could ultimately keep him from the love of Christ.

Jesus, my Lord will love me forever,
From Him no pow'r of evil can sever,
He gave His life to ransom my soul;
Now I belong to Him;
Now I belong to Jesus,
Jesus belongs to me,
Not for the years of time alone,
But for eternity.
Once I was lost in sin's degradation,
Jesus came down to bring me salvation,
Lifted me up from sorrow and shame,
Now I belong to Him;
--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Luke 22:31-34 English Standard Version (ESV)

Jesus Foretells Peter's Denial

31 "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you,[a] that he might sift you like wheat, 32 but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers." 33 Peter[b] said to him, "Lord, I am ready to go with you both to prison and to death." 34 Jesus[c] said, "I tell you, Peter, the rooster will not crow this day, until you deny three times that you know me."

No comments: