Thursday, January 2, 2020

Verse of the Day 1/2

Verse of the Day 1/2

Hebrews 13:5 

Don't fall in love with money. Be satisfied with what you have. The Lord has promised that he will not leave us or desert us.    Contemporary English Version (CEV)

This year my read through the New Testament will be in the Contemporary English Version (CEV) and so you will often see this translation quoted in these "verse of the day" posts.  I will also post a short passage from the  NKJV or ESV at the bottom of the post for a more traditional or word for word translation.

As we are still formulating plans and goals for the coming year, today's verses have some good advice, good recommendations for us to follow as we move forward into the "unknown" of what lies ahead.  If we desire to have a closer walk with God, He must have first priority.   We know from 1 Timothy 6:10 that the "love of money" is the root of all kinds of evil.  Instead of getting caught up in that lustful pursuit may we be satisfied, be content knowing that God will provide, He will not leave or abandon us but will care for His children.

Thomas Moor writes, "His language means, "My presence shall ever go with you, My heart shall ever be towards you, and My hand shall ever hold you." There is nothing in the darkest and most trying path in which a believer can possibly be placed, that need prevent him constantly realizing the presence and love of His Lord, and quietly resting in Him.....  Fully, however, to realize the Lord's presence and love, and quietly rest in Him, there must not only be looking up, and trusting, and waiting--but the heart must also be content with the providential path below. "

As I read today's verse and considered these things, the hymn "All the Way My Savior Leads Me" came to mind.  Think of how it relates to today's verse and passage below.
All the way my Savior leads me
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His faithful mercies?
Who through life has been my guide
Heavenly peace, divinest comfort
Ere by faith in Him to dwell
For I know whate'er fall me
Jesus doeth all things well
All of the way my Savior leads me
And He cheers each winding path I tread
Gives me strength for every trial
And He feeds me with the living bread
And though my weary steps may falter
And my soul a-thirst may be
Gushing from a rock before me
Though a spirit joy I see
And all the way my Savior leads me
Oh, the fullness of His love
Perfect rest in me is promised
In my Father's house above
When my spirit clothed immortal
Wings it's flight through the realms of the day
This my song through endless ages
Jesus led me all the way


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Hebrews 13:1-7 English Standard Version (ESV)

Sacrifices Pleasing to God

13 Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Remember those who are in prison, as though in prison with them, and those who are mistreated, since you also are in the body. Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous. Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we can confidently say,

"The Lord is my helper;
    I will not fear;
what can man do to me?"

Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life, and imitate their faith.

No comments: