Thursday, May 16, 2013

Verse of the Day 5/16

 
Psalm 57:1-2  Be merciful and gracious to me, O God, be merciful and gracious to me, for my soul takes refuge and finds shelter and confidence in You; yes, in the shadow of Your wings will I take refuge and be confident until calamities and destructive storms are passed.

I will cry to God Most High, Who performs on my behalf and rewards me [Who brings to pass His purposes for me and surely completes them]!  Amplified Bible (AMP)

 
We've been considering what it means, what it is like to be the recipients of God's mercy and grace.  Perhaps no one personifies this more than David.  This morning I read this chapter in my devotions and if fit in well with the thoughts of the past few days.
 
In this passage David has been on the run from Saul.  He sought refuge in a cave, but ultimately sought refuge in God, and called, depended upon His mercy and grace.  This mercy and grace gave David the wisdom and courage to cut the edge off of Saul's garment then to step out of the cave and confront his adversary.  God delivered him from that storm, it passed, and God received the glory.
 
What jumped out at me this morning was being in the shadow of God's wings. It is the picture of a parent with outstretched arms pulling their child close by their side.  So close that they can hear the parents heartbeat.  The child feels secure, safe from the situation at hand.  When we as adults face calamities, trials, and storms of life we can cry out to God to be gracious and merciful.  He will draw us close, so close that we'll hear the heartbeat of God, of heaven, and realize His purpose for us.
 

I know sometimes this heart of mine
Beats only for itself
Full of hopes and dreams, and plans of progress
But this heart beating here in me
Belongs to Someone else
He bought it with His life to show His love
This is my prayer, Lord, today
Let this heart beat Your way

Loving, joyful, peaceful, patient
Kind and good, and full of faith
Self-controlled and gentle
Oh, the heart of heaven beats this way

Heartbeat of heaven, beat in me   (Heartbeat of Heaven - Steven Curtis Chapman)

In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Psalm 57:1-3

New Living Translation (NLT)

Psalm 57

For the choir director: A psalm[a] of David, regarding the time he fled from Saul and went into the cave. To be sung to the tune "Do Not Destroy!"

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy!
    I look to you for protection.
I will hide beneath the shadow of your wings
    until the danger passes by.
I cry out to God Most High,[b]
    to God who will fulfill his purpose for me.
He will send help from heaven to rescue me,
    disgracing those who hound me. Interlude
My God will send forth his unfailing love and faithfulness.

No comments: