Friday, May 17, 2013

Verse of the Day 5/17

 
Isaiah 46:4  Even to your old age and gray hairs
    I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
    I will sustain you and I will rescue you.  New International Version (NIV)
 
Reading this verse this morning caused me to stop and think.  I am 55 years old, but for the most part, I don't feel old.  I still have the strength to push our son Jeff up and down the hills of the neighborhood and to go swimming with my grandchildren and do many chores around the house.  In fact, I probably feel better today than I did a couple of years ago.  But the gray hairs on my head, higher in number every day, reveal that I am getting older.  The verse made me realize and appreciate too, that I didn't get to this place on my own and I will not get to my final destination on my own.  Physically and spiritually, my heavenly Father will sustain and carry me.
 
J. R. Miller writes,  " As we grow older there should be a constant gaining, never a losing in our spiritual life. Every year should find us living on a higher plane than the year before. Old age should always be the best of life, not marked by spiritual emptiness and decay--but by nobler fruitfulness and more gracious beauty. Paul was growing old, when he spoke of forgetting things which are behind, and reaching forth to things ahead. His best was yet to be attained. So it should always be with Christian old age."
 
As we grow older as Christians we should still be pushing on, moving upward.  The going may not be easy, but He will sustain, carry and rescue as when we don't have the strength ourselves.  He will plant our feet on higher ground.
 
I'm pressing on the upward way,
New heights I'm gaining every day;
Still praying as I'm onward bound,
"Lord, plant my feet on higher ground."
  • Refrain:
    Lord, lift me up and let me stand,
    By faith, on Heaven's tableland,
    A higher plane than I have found;
    Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.
 
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Isaiah 46:3-5

New International Version (NIV)

"Listen to me, you descendants of Jacob,
    all the remnant of the people of Israel,
you whom I have upheld since your birth,
    and have carried since you were born.
Even to your old age and gray hairs
    I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you;
    I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

"With whom will you compare me or count me equal?
    To whom will you liken me that we may be compared?

No comments: